Tuesday 3 September 2013

Challenge for Art: BLUE

The first challenge many many months ago in the "Challenge 4 Art" group was the word 'growth'.  I created a long thin paper pieced sprout wall hanging.  This showed my 'growth' in sewing skills (a year prior to making it, I had not even heard of paper piecing before and then when I finally did try it, I cried)!!  Growth for me, was to learn new skills in my sewing and growth also literally meant things that grow. 

The next challenge:

Our second "Challenge 4 Art" project, the word to interpret was 'BLUE'.  The first thing that came to my mind when the word 'blue' was suggested was 'depression' and the thought of having a 'blue day'.


I often 'feel blue' but I am lucky to have a supportive family who love me.  Even though they may live some 5,538 kilometres away, they share their love, concern, worry and advice from afar and it gets me through a tough day!  If I am feeling low, I often just say 'I am feeling a bit blue'.


I used 100% blue scraps from my scrap bucket but I chose mostly plaids as they are one of my favourite things.  My organic straight line quilting was done in the white section with two lines in the blue to give a variance of texture and I am really pleased how it turned out.  "I am BLUE" measures 17" x 10" and is bound with Neptune - one of my favourite dark navy prints.  Once I hang this mini art quilt up I know that I will smile when I read it because though "I am BLUE", I am also so many other things too!

Be sure to check out how the other members of "Challenge 4 Art" group [Claudia of Machen & Tun, Ellie Q of Color My Word and Susannah of Fiberchick] interpreted the word "BLUE" too!

And by the way, I am not feeling blue today :)  I am feeling bright green and happy-ish!!  How about you?



[Paper pieced letter pattern 'Just my Type' from Quiet Play]

13 comments:

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Fabulous! Love the piecing! Love the sentiment behind it - andhope that it does brighten your day and remind you of all the wonderful things you are on those blue days!

DeborahGun said...

This is great (although I am glad you are feeling cheery today :-)). Its so fun to look back and see how much our sewing improves and our styles change over time :-)

Rosa said...

Gorgeous.Love it!

fiberchick said...

I think your blues convey the emotion of sadness really well. Love it! Incidentally, I feel green today too:)

Heidi said...

First rate. I love that you have 'embraced your blues' ..

Erin @ Once Upon a Donkey said...

Great interpretation. Very clever. Glad to hear that you are feeling more cheery today, though. Bring on the good days! :)

Ellie Q said...

What great blues! (and nice paper piecing!) You could make an entire series of quilts like this and change them based on your mood. :)

machen und tun said...

love this, Amy!! And how interesting that you connect the color to the feeling.. I love your interpretation, it does not look sad at all :-) Yay for not-blue days!!

Laura said...

Looks lovely :) I do love blue as a colour...

Indianna said...

Looks lovely, hope you have a big NOT on Velcro for your happy days!

Sarah said...

Perhaps a reversible one for the days when you feel green?

Lovely work and what a nice piece of your stitching history to show how much progress you have made as a stitcher in just a year.

Charlotte said...

it's fantastic. I really love where you are going with your art these days xxx

Nicky said...

Is there anything you cannot do Amy!? Looks great! Glad you are not blue but green - my happy colour too!