Tuesday 12 February 2013

Pannakookur

My maternal great grandmother was born in Iceland.  Growing up, my Nana spoke Icelandic until she was ten.  Her great Aunt didn't speak any English when they emigrated to Canada all those years ago - amazing!

So, with that in mind, there are a few Icelandic recipes passed down through the generations in the family that my sister, aunt and Nana make but the only one I was ever interested in making was "Pannakookur".  [The first letter o should have two dots over it but I don't know how to change it here in Blogger.]


What is 'Pannakookur'?  The way I say it is 'punnacooker', which are basically crepes!!!  We put granulated sugar on them then roll them into cigar shapes to eat them!


They were always so much fun when my mom would make a batch when my great grandmother and my great uncles would come to visit (or when we went to their house in Stratford Ontario).  It always seemed that as soon as one was made it disappeared - eaten before it even got to the serving plate!  Two people to cook them with two pans on the go was necessary!!


As you can see from my recipe card, it is a much-used recipe!  Hope you have some pancakes today too!


Linking to Tuesday at the Table.
 Photobucket

11 comments:

The Slow Quilter said...

How delicious thay look. Yummy.

heart of charnwood said...

Yours look fab, we've already had a pile, and I'm stuffed. Hope you enjoyed yours. : )

Sarah Lou said...

Oooh, they look good! Looking forward to Hubs getting home to demonstrate his excellent pancake skilllllllls :D

MetroQuilter said...

I can see why they don't stay on the plate long!

Di said...

Yummy, yummy in your tummy (but I wish it were mine)! Di x

Anonymous said...

I've eaten 4 today!

Turid said...

I can undersstand that they are eaten before they come to the plate. I'm in Norway, and we had much contact with Iceland, and use the same way of making these. We eat them for dinner every Friday, with blueberries and fried bacon. You should try it!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Oh those pictures are making me hungry!! How nice to have a great family recipe to pass down!

Charlotte said...

I had an Icelandic penpal when I was a kid, and went to visit her a couple of times. The first meal I ever ate in her house was crepes stuffed with whipped cream. OMG!!!!!!! So delicious!

Unknown said...

My grandmother used to make what she called "French pancakes" which were, of course, crepes. Mom said they would eat them with fresh cream and jam. Myself, I prefer my crepes with Nutella and I'm so glad that I've found a way to make them gluten free! Yours look delicious!

Debbie said...

oh this is a perfect share for Shrove Tuesday! I love hearing about heritage recipes. Thanks much for sharing with Tuesday at the Table!