Sunday 9 December 2012

Gift/wine bag

Ahhhh - that's more like it!  I finally sewed something after a whole week away from my sewing machine - who I affectionately call Mr Toyota.  

I made a festive bag to hold a gift (but it holds a bottle of champers nicely too so can be re-used by the recipient if they want to re-gift the bag!).  I used some of my precious green linen and some cute mitten and hot cocoa fabric.  This is not a lined bag - I zig zag stitched all the seams so the fabric won't fray and simply did a 'hem' for the top.  Where the feature fabric is sewn to the linen I stitched one line for decoration and to secure those seams.  Simple but looks nice.

I made the smallest of boxed corners just to give the bag a little bit of body instead of it just being a sewn rectangle.  Perhaps I didn't need to?

The ribbon was easy to do - I unstitched a tiny opening on one side near the top once the bag was done and took a folded piece of ribbon and stitched it into the seam so the ribbon ends were on the outside/good side of the bag and the fold was on the inside of the bag.  I'm sure there is a better way to do it but I was after a FAST way to add a tie to the bag which was securely attached, and it certainly does the trick :) 

This is another item off my 100 Day Hustle list!  Yay - that means I have accomplished 10 out of 25 things.  Woohoo!!  However, 9 of the remaining 15 items listed are quilts!  Can I finish 9 quilts in 22 days and work full time?  Hmmm... 


The ribbon is attached at the top along the side seam.

Holds a gift quite well too!!

Don't you just love sewing things for pressies?  I'd be happy if I got a pressie or bottle of something (Tia Maria or Archers) in a gift bag like this!   Just sayin'...

6 comments:

Christine said...

Your bag is gorgeous. I love the red mitten print with the green linen.

Kelly said...

Love the gift bag Amy and if you don't sleep and take the sewing machine to work then 9 quilts is totally doable! ;-)

Di said...

What a good way of 'dressing up' a bottle for a present. As for the 100 day hustle, I keep telling you, don't go to bed! Di x

Sarah Lou said...

Looks gorgeous, I love the green linen :D

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I love giving and receiving presents in reusable gift bags. Yours looks so effective with the fabrics you've chosen. Great job!!!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Hi Amy, I've featured your wine bag today...
http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2013/01/threading-your-way-features.html